What is COSHH ?
(COSHH), known as the Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, are intended to protect people from ill health caused by exposure to hazardous substances.
What is a hazardous substance ?
There are many hazardous substances which are covered by the COSHH Regulations, these can range from cleaning fluids just like the type kept under the sink to agricultural and industrial chemicals. Empire Pest Control adheres to the COSHH Regulations in respect of chemicals used within the pest control industry. The hazardous substances used in the pest control industry are generally Insecticides and Rodenticides.
Our COSHH Statement
Empire Pest Control Ltd are required by law to follow a strict code of conduct that has been set out by the COSHH Regulations 2002 and are responsible for ensuring that;-
- Empire Pest Control hold safety data sheets on all products used.
- Empire Pest Control assess the need to use a pesticide and how risks will be controlled.
- Empire Pest Control keeps a record of initial risk assessments of pest control work carried out on our customers premises.
- Empire Pest Control keep records of the actual work carried out including which product was used, who did the treatment, which areas were treated, what PPE was used and how much product was applied. This information is contained in a Customer File which is left on site.
- Empire Pest Control has a written record of pesticide stocks at our store and a method of updating.
- Empire Pest Control assess the hazards to health from products stored at our premises in respect of ourselves and operatives, neighbours and emergency services personnel.
- Empire Pest Control maintain records of personal protective equipment (PPE), which we check regularly and log renewal dates.
- Empire Pest Control keep a record of training and certificates given to all employees.
- Empire Pest Control give an indication to the manager at customer’s premises of products used in treatments and leave a telephone number for contact in case of emergency.
- Empire Pest Control mark our store and vehicles with the hazard symbol showing a black exclamation mark in a yellow triangle.
- Empire Pest Control ensure vehicles are properly equipped and pesticides are carried in a safe manner.
- Empire Pest Control read Guidance Note AIS 16 from the HSE on the “Guidance on storing pesticides for farmers and other professional users”.
- Empire Pest Control gets further professional advice on aspects of Health and Safety 1974 that we feel needs to be clarified.
Empire Pest Control Ltd carry out regular reviews of the COSHH Regulations 2002 and ensures all our documentation is current.