Removing Cockroach Infestations

  • Home
  • Removing Cockroach Infestations
Common Cockroach
The Common Cockroach – German Cockroach, Blattella germanica

The Key Features of Cockroaches

Known to be nocturnal, cockroaches tend to hide away in crevices during the day. They may also be found lurking near drains and sinks, among other places that provide the ideal conditions to survive. In cases of a large influx of this pest, often, a foul, almond-like scent can be smelt.

As for appearance, the German Cockroach is relatively small, with an average length of 1.6cm. This species has a light brown body and two dark lines starting from the cockroach’s head and ending at the bottom of the wings (it cannot fly, however).

Although, in warmer climates, this prominent type of cockroach is likely to infest restaurants and nursing homes, among other properties, in colder areas of the globe, they tend to stay close to human residences.

Like the Asian Cockroach, this species also originates from Asia and is similar in appearance as well, meaning it’s easy to mistake one for the other.

Biology of the Common Cockroach

A cockroach’s life is broken up into three stages. They start off as an egg and, once they hatch, they begin life as a nymph before developing into an adult insect.

Despite this, their transformation from egg to adult is relatively quick, taking roughly 100 days in most cases. In saying this, external variations can make a difference to their development, such as temperature and whether they are receiving adequate nutrition.

Throughout their lives, these cockroaches will breed incessantly, resulting in overlaps when it comes to life stages. Providing ideal living conditions are in place, cockroach numbers, when it comes to an infestation, can reach enormous heights. Typically speaking, cockroach populations will consist of roughly 20% adults and the remaining 80% will be developing nymphs.

Adults will usually survive for around three to six months, and they will moult anywhere from five to seven times during their lifespan.

A German Cockroach’s diet will comprise of anything from scraps on the floor to pet food, and the species may even result to feasting on the bindings of books as well.

How They Affect You

Cockroaches can affect a property and its inhabitants in different ways, but arguably what’s most alarming is that they can carry harmful diseases and organisms.

These germs can be passed on through direct contact, either with the pest or through their droppings.

This pest can also contaminate food, making professional cockroach control absolutely vital with any cockroach infestation. Here at Empire, we have extensive experience of dealing with cockroach infestations within London and surrounding areas and provide complete satisfaction in dealing with any type of cockroach problem.

Methods of Cockroach Control

Cockroach control should only ever be carried out by professionals, as it can be complicated, and the pests are notoriously difficult to get rid of thanks to their breeding process and hiding places.

To begin with, the extent of the infestation should be monitored, and nightly assessments should be carried out, as this is when the pest is likely to be most active. For the latter to be successful, torches with red filters are most effective.

During treatment, all cockroach food and water sources should be cut off to direct the infestation towards insecticides.

As a number of egg cases are hidden away in crevices, insecticides need to be strategically placed and maintained throughout the life stages of this pest. Ideally, this method should be used routinely until all cases have hatched, and to control the infestation, frequent treatments are required.

Following this, sustained treatments to keep the cockroach population low will be carried out at fewer intervals. This type of treatment usually targets adults, leaving behind a few nymphs. Sticky traps are a popular method, and should be placed underneath equipment, behind furniture and inside electrical trunking and ducting. When this pest is trapped, it will release special pheromones, which will attract more of the same species.

Managing Cockroach Problems in London

Empire Pest Control are based in London, we have a trained workforce of local staff familiar with cockroach issues who will be able to quickly visit your home or business premises and decide on the appropriate course of action in order to deal effectively with the infestation.

These pests can carry harmful diseases, including typhoid and dysentery, as well as cause allergic reactions like bronchitis and dermatitis. Cockroaches leave behind an unpleasant mess, such as droppings and regurgitated foodstuffs, and are capable of spoiling materials with their familiar, foul scent.

If you need help controlling your pest problem, be it cockroaches or any other type of pest, get in touch today through our website.