Everyone loves summer. The days are lovely and warm, and we can all get outside and enjoy a lovely time with our families. However, with summer comes the increased risk of having a bed bug infestation in your London home.
Many people are misinformed on what to do when they are experiencing a bed bug infestation. To make sure you’re doing the right things to prevent bed bugs in your London home, here are ten do’s and don’ts to help you.
- De-clutter – Clutter is a perfect place for bed bugs to hide. It also makes it harder to treat your home when there is a bed bug infestation if it’s really cluttered.
- Have an inspection – Hire a professional pest control company like Empire to help you identify and treat a bed bug problem. Catching the problem early prevents a lot of hassle later on, giving you peace of mind.
- Be mindful when travelling – Bed bugs will attach themselves to your clothing and your luggage. Stay away from the cheaper, run-down hotels, and always check your hotel rooms for any signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Keep up your cleaning routine – Vacuuming and cleaning your home can help to remove bed bugs. Make sure you throw the vacuum contents away afterwards though.
- Use a mattress cover – This will help to prevent bed bugs making your mattress their home. It also makes them easier to spot.
- Be careful with second hand furniture – A second hand sofa could look brand new, but it could be riddled with bed bugs. Bringing in used furniture to your home could result in you bringing in an infestation too.
- Don’t throw infested furniture away – Furniture can be treated unless an expert tells you otherwise. Moving infested furniture out of your home can actually spread the bed bugs throughout the rest of your home.
- Don’t move house – You need to contact the professionals to get rid of them. Bed bugs will come with you wherever you go.
- Don’t try to treat them yourself – The pesticides used for bed bug treatment can be very dangerous, and you could end up hurting yourself and making the problem worse.
- Don’t opt for a cheap service – Hire an affordable and credible pest control company like Empire Pest Control to stop any infestations from reoccurring.