All winter long we spend our time making sure we are tucked up in cosy blankets and hidden away from the outside world. As far as pests are concerned, we may see the odd spider sharing our central heating or a ballsy pigeon braving the cold outdoors but for the most part we hibernate undisturbed. Once the long slog of dark, cold days ends, March rolls around and we welcome a new season; spring. With spring comes a welcome breath of fresh air where we can look forward to lighter evenings, gentle breezes and a world of colour. Unfortunately, we can also look forward to seeing more and more of our most dreaded common pests. When spring has sprung it means everyone has to be on their guard for things that sting, buzz and invade our homes. If you’re unlucky enough to suffer from a pest infestation then enlisting the help of an experienced pest control company is the best course of action. However, prevention is always better than cure so check out some of the ways you can prevent pest problems as you spring clean:
- Dig Deep and Cleanse – Make sure you clean pantries, cupboards and wardrobes thoroughly. Wash out containers, air out clothes and make sure everything is fresh so there are no ‘go-to’ nest spots for pests
- Keep It Tidy – Put food away so it doesn’t tempt pests to come inside and feast. Keep food containers and non-perishables like cereals tightly sealed so pests don’t find their way in.
- Pick Up After Pets – Feed your pets inside rather than outdoors where pests can easily get to the food. Also, make sure you pick up your pet’s food at night so roaming pests don’t eat or contaminate it when you (and your pets) aren’t looking
- Suck It Up – Vacuum your home thoroughly and regularly, even if it does seem like a hassle. Doing so will help to keep rooms clear of spiders, their webs and other pests or larvae. Regular vacuuming will also enable you to notice infestation indicators (larvae, carcasses, droppings) as early as possible. For all your commercial and domestic carpet cleaning requirements in and around London, be sure to visit us today.
- Clean and Clear – Keep clutter to a minimum and prioritise hygiene. Wipe down all of your kitchen counters regularly, wash dishes straight after meals and remove rubbish daily so as not to provide breeding grounds (maggots) inside.
- Check Nooks and Crannies – Be proactive about discovering and preventing pest infestation. Check the attic, the guttering and any ventilation systems as well as your garden shed and garage to make sure there are no nests. It is worth checking for and removing any debris build ups that could make good nests for prospective pests
- Plug and Prevent – Seal any interior or exterior cracks that could house pests or give them easy access to your home, considering wall cavities and other forgotten spaces suit pests as well as – if not better than – interior rooms. Also be mindful of other pest-friendly entry points like open windows and cat flaps
To give you an idea of what you should be looking out for, here are the five top spring pests:
- Grey Squirrels
- Bees and Wasps
Pest infestations are just as common rurally as they are in urban areas, hence the importance of pest control – in London, in the Lake District and everywhere in between. If you want more advice or you suspect you have an infestation, please contact us today.