One of the last things you ever want to find in your commercial or residential property is rat droppings. Rat droppings normally look like small grains of brown rice, and turn grey the longer they have been there. Cleaning up rodent waste is incredibly dangerous, because of the diseases they carry. Handling rat droppings can pose a serious health risk.
When you find rat droppings anywhere on your property, you must call in one of our professionals here at Empire Pest Control immediately. Here are some other do’s and don’ts of what to do when you find rat droppings.
- Call a professional pest controller – They can safely clean the area and help you combat the rodent control problem.
- Wear protective clothing – Rubber gloves, goggles and a dust mask are a must when handling rat droppings.
- Spray a cleaner – Any areas that have been exposed to rat waste need to be cleaned thoroughly.
- Disinfect or bleach – Mop all of the flooring and use a carpet disinfectant if it’s on carpeting.
- Shampoo and steam clean – Furniture that has been exposed to the rat droppings need to be cleaned too.
- Wash your bedding, linens and clothes – Any items that have been in contact with rat droppings need to be washed in hot water.
- Vacuum or sweep up rat droppings – Any rat dropping that you find should never be vacuumed or swept. This is because it can cause diseases to become airborne.
- Keep the protective gear – Always throw it away after you’ve cleaned up.
- Ignore the signs of illness – Any flu like symptoms should be dealt with as serious, if there has been rat droppings around your property.
The best way to get rid of rats is to call in professional pest controllers as soon as you notice any signs of a rodent infestation. They will usually use either traps or poison or a combination of these and other methods. Other signs of rats being present in your property will be urine, scratching noises, bite marks in hard surfaces and grease marks left around your home.
Rats should never be ignored if they have infested your property. Be aware of of how dangerous they can be to your health. If you have noticed rat droppings around, call in Empire Pest Control for London based commercial and residential pest control.