Homeowners and business owners are always concerned about a cockroach infestation. When we see a cockroach somewhere, we automatically deem that place dirty, unhygienic and unhealthy to be in. However, when some people experience cockroaches on their property, their first point of action is to try some home remedies. These rarely solve the cockroach pest control problem, and result in larger infestations.
We are going to take a look at some DIY cockroach control remedies to see what will work and what won’t.
- Fabric Softener – Will it kill cockroaches? Many believe that it will suffocate them. Which it can, but only if it is directly applied to the cockroaches body. It’s very difficult to directly spray onto a moving cockroach. And cockroaches usually hide from humans anyway, so there’s no way it will deal with a cockroach infestation.
- Soap and water – Another solution believed to suffocate cockroaches. The problem again is that it has to be applied directly onto the cockroaches body which is very difficult to do.
- Lemon – A lot of people use lemon juice to clean after they have seen cockroaches. It can be an effective method, but only because you are cleaning your home! Not because cockroaches don’t like the smell of lemon.
- Coffee – Traps can be made using coffee grounds to catch cockroaches. Another method is sprinkling coffee around the home to repel cockroaches. So do cockroaches like coffee or not? They’re indifferent to it, therefore it’s not going to be a good DIY solution.
- Bay Leaves – The smell is said to be repellent to cockroaches. For this to work, it’s meant to be crushed into a powder then sprinkled around cockroach hotspots. You could also use the essential oils. There is some truth to this method, but for it to be effected against cockroaches you’d need a bay tree, not a bay leaf! The smell of a bit of powder really isn’t going to irritate a cockroach.
So after all of this, how do you eliminate cockroaches if you have an infestation in your home? The answer is simple. You call in a team of professional pest controllers to do the job for you!