Basements are often underground, and it is the place where the ventilation is too low. Lack of air and ventilation can cause several problems like water damage, mould growth, and the environment is well suited for pests and insects to stay safe.
Pests always prefer a safe place to stay which is away from human contact. They love dark and damp environments so your basement will be the best place for tiny pests. In this article, we will discuss, how to keep your basement pest free.
Signs of Basement Pests
- Spider webs are the first sign that you have pests in your basement because spiders always love to feed on other insects.
- Bee and wasp nests will initiate you that your basement is affected by pest infestations.
- Presence of flies and crickets in your basement will indicate that there are centipedes.
- Overgrown vegetation near your basement.
Pest Problems in Basement
Pests in the basement will cause severe structural damage, health risks, spread diseases, water damage, and infest food. It is not good to have pests in your place, some of the pests will be tiny and they cannot be seen. But these tiny creatures like termites and ants can cause severe damage.
If you are renting a property, try to read the contract agreement properly that the basement is affected by pests are not. UK is one of the coldest countries, so there will be always moisture in your basement, and this can attract pests in your place.
Common Pests in Basement
Spiders – Spiders are not so dangerous they will enter your place to eat other insects. But if you have any dangerous species like the False Widow spider or Brown Recluse spider, try to clear it immediately.
Ants – Ants are easy to ejaculate but if there are high numbers, you cannot eliminate them easily. Try to use an insecticide or remove their nest in your place.
Termites – Termites are dangerous insects that can chew wood, paper, cellulose materials, and even plastics. If you keep termites in your place, it will cause severe structural damage.
Roaches – Roaches are insects that feared many people of their appearance and they can transfer deadly diseases and bacteria.
Centipedes – Centipedes are pests that can bite humans, though they are not poisonous their bite can cause severe pain. Having centipedes in your home is not good for your children’s and pet’s health.
How to Keep your Basement Pest Free?
- Dispose of overgrown plants, bushes, and weeds around your place.
- Try to place the firewood at least 20 feet away from the basement and 5 inches above the ground.
- Seal all the cracks and gaps and keep the windows and doors more protective.
- Use plastic trash bins instead of cardboard boxes.
- Eliminate moisture using a dehumidifier.
- Pests always live in a place with easy access to food, so eliminate all the food sources.
- Do not store the old furniture and carpets in the basement, this will give a way for bed bugs.
- Use natural oils like lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, and neem oil, these smelling products will keep the pests away from your place.
The above listed are the DIY methods to keep your basement pest free. These DIY methods can withstand only for a few days, hire a professional pest control service to get rid of basement pests for years.