Pests are the major problem faced by all food industries and pantries. The pests that are found in the stored food or pantry are commonly known as stored product insects that can infest in dry stored food. This SPI is usually attracted by less moisture and a dry environment, so the food products like dried nuts, fruits, rice, wheat can act as a home for them. It is important to listen to the health of food products while buying, you can easily find insect-affected food. As a business owner, it is your responsibility to prevent your products from the action of pests. These pests can lay eggs and increase their population in dry food products. In this article, we will discuss how to get rid of stored product insects.
Common Pests in Stored Product
Not all the pests are attracted by the dry food, rodents will also react with the stored food. The rats will eat and damage the food products that are stored. Some of the commonly found stored product insects are beetles, weevils, moths, and mites. These insects are smaller in size and hard to find. So, the stored food can act as the best place for infestation.
The food products will get damaged by their droppings and becomes unhealthy. This leads to several skin diseases, allergic issues, and breathing problems. It is important to eliminate the pests in stored products, which will reduce the danger and increase your reputation among the customers.
Pest Advice to Control Stored Product Insects
DIY Pest Control
As a shop owner, you must be aware of the stored product pests and their control methods. If not, the product will be damaged, and it will result in a heavy loss in your business. Here we have mentioned some of the habits that should be followed regularly to control the pest attraction in food products.
- Clean your storage area entirely before storing the food.
- Cleaning should be done every day which helps to identify the infested products.
- Throw off the infested food product immediately if you found any
- Avoid using cardboard, paper, or plastic container.
- Make use of metal and glass containers which can be closed tightly
- Do not stuff the food products, leave some space for the airflow which will keep the food fresh
- Place the product above the floor, and away from walls or ceiling
- Make use of the grain beetles, and grain weevils that are available in shops which can keep the pests away from your stored grain for a long time
Professional Pest Control Service
As a reputed business, it is important to hire a professional pest control service. The experts will have the knowledge and idea of eliminating the pests present in your place. The professional service will be more effective than any DIY method, but you should also follow up on your daily routines. Ask the experts to use eco-friendly methods because many professionals will process the fumigation to control stored product insects. Fumigation is not advisable in food industries instead ask them to work on non-toxic heat treatment. This will be more effective and environmentally friendly and keep the pests and diseases away from your food products.