This might sound like a strange question. However, finding out about this should concern all homeowners. You see, the answer to the question where do squirrels live in the winter is simple. They live wherever humans live – and this means your home.
Why they choose your home
Like all living creatures, squirrels need to survive the harsh winter months. At the end of summer they move from trees to somewhere more secure. Squirrels will look for a place that is safe and warm. Plus, somewhere where there is an abundant supply of food. This makes your home the perfect place for them to move into.
Squirrels will build their nests in your home and store food nearby. Not only that, they may even give birth and raise their offspring in this nest. If you have squirrels on your properly, they are likely to end up in your home during winter.
When squirrels enter the home, they most often wind up living in your loft or attic. You can also find them in your garage, walls and insulation. While they might seem harmless, these creatures can cause untold damage to your home. (As well as attract other pests).
Where do squirrels live in the Winter: How they get inside
One of the easiest ways is through your chimney. They can also chew holes beneath the house’s eaves. Yet another way is when trees overlap your roof. Trees provide an easy bridge from the tree to your home. Basically, any hole that the squirrel can slip through provides them with an entry point.
How do you know if you have squirrels hiding in your loft or attic?
You will probably hear them rummaging and scratching around before you see them. Also look for evidence of nests and droppings – or chewed up installation.
How they cause damage during their winter stay
• They are able to damage electrical insulation. They do this by ripping it up to make their nests. This reduces the efficiency of your insulation. This is something you really don’t want during Winter.
• They can also chew through electrical wiring with their sharp teeth. This will cost a lot to repair and could eventually lead to electrical fires.
• Squirrels store seeds and nuts in their nests. These can germinate and grow into plants or even trees. This can cause immense damage to your roof and cost enormous amounts of money to repair.
• Worst of all, they are incontinent. This means squirrels will urinate and defecate all over the place. Cleaning up this mess is hard work. Plus it can also create a health risk for your family and your pets.
It’s important that you take these health risks seriously. Especially if you run a food related business.
Some diseases that can be spread by squirrels
• Salmonellosis: This is a bacteria found it squirrel droppings. It can cause diarrhoea, cramps and fever. In the most extreme cases it can even send you to the hospital.
• Leptospirosis: This is another bacteria found in squirrel droppings. It can cause fever, headaches, vomiting, jaundice and rashes.
• Fleas: Like most animals which live outside, squirrels are often covered in fleas. These can infest your home and also spread to your pets.
• Ticks: Squirrels are also often plagued with ticks too. These can spread to humans and pets. Ticks can cause Lyme disease, which is extremely dangerous to your health.
They are also capable of spreading mites and ringworm.
What to do about squirrels that come in during winter
Now you have more information about where do squirrels live in the Winter, you need to keep them out. Squirrels might seem cute, but you certainly don’t want them infesting your home. If you suspect an infestation you need to do something before too much damage is caused.
Some common solutions include:
• Sealing up access points with mesh.
• Trimming trees so that no branches are overhanging your roof.
• Making sure that doors and windows close and seal up properly.
• Blocking up cracks or holes in the exterior or your home.
• You can also use rat traps to humanely catch the squirrels.
Call Empire for trusted squirrel control services
Finally, if none of the above solutions work, call in a qualified pest control expert like Empire. We have many years of experience dealing with squirrels correctly. We have lots of great feedback on our review site CheckATrade.
We are also members of the British Pest Control Association. This means you can have confidence in our service. It means our company at Empire has the BPCA seal of approval. Our staff are fully qualified, trained, licensed and vetted. Hundreds of customers have trusted us in their homes with excellent results.
Where do squirrels live in the winter? After reading through this post, you probably have a better idea. Call us today for a tailor made pest removal and protection plan for the winter, including squirrel control.