Pests like cockroaches, flies, rats and other insects can be a real problem in our home. Besides being really dirty, pests also carry diseases. Hiring a professional pest control firm should be your go to option if you are suffering from a residential pest control problem. Before and after treatment, there are some pest control safety precautions you have to take.
Before starting with your pest control treatment, there are a few pest control safety precautions that have to be taken. For example, food has to be properly stored and traps have to be carefully placed so pets and children don’t accidentally get hurt.
Here we are going to go through the pest control safety precautions that you should take and follow when having professional pest control treatment.
Pest Control Safety Precautions Before Treatment
Large appliances and pieces of furniture should be moved as a pest control safety precaution. This gives pest controllers easy access. It also keeps your furniture and appliances safe from any spills and sprays of chemicals during treatment.
Any of your or your children’s clothes have to be packed away. You also have to make sure that children’s toys are packed away or covered in plastic as a pest control safety precaution. This is important to protect your children from any residual chemicals that remain after pest control treatments.
Kitchen countertops should be completely cleared of utensils, cutlery, plates and glasses. Things like your oven should be completely covered as a pest control safety precaution. All food must be stored in plastic containers. Any leftovers and perishables in the fridge should be eaten beforehand.
Pets are very sensitive to chemicals used during certain pest control problems. Your pet is better being out of the house during pest control treatments. If you have fish, make sure to cover the tank so no chemicals can get in. Air pumps for any aquariums should also be turned off as air-borne chemicals can get into the water.
If your bathroom is being treated it’s best that it is emptied out completely. Things like toothbrushes, floss and razors should be removed and replace your soaps after the treatment if left in the bathroom.
Pest Control Health and Safety
Choosing a pest control company that ensures safe working practices is a big part of pest control safety precautions. There are a few things to keep in mind that you should never leave to chance when it comes to pest control.
- Any pest controller carrying out treatments in your home should come with the correct protective equipment. They should also inform you of any health hazards that could come from the products they are using.
- Qualified technicians like the ones from Empire will keep you and your family away from the treatment area until it is safe to return. You will also receive clear post-treatment instructions to keep you safe and healthy after the procedure.
- Bait boxes and traps should be kept well away from children and pets. Bait boxes should only be opened with a key, and under no circumstances should you move traps that a professional has laid down.
Professional Protocols That Keep You Safe
- No one but the technician should be allowed into an area that is being treated. This is also true for rooms adjacent as well. You will usually be allowed to return within 4 hours.
- Any pest control professional entering your home must adhere to all of the UK laws put in place to protect your family. Every precaution must be taken to minimise any negative effects of pesticides and other pest control methods.
- It’s not always a necessary option to have chemicals sprayed in your home. There are suitable and practical alternatives to chemical treatments that don’t involve pesticides.
- Keep a record of all pest control treatments carried out in your home. This should be given to you at the end of any pest control call out.
- Do your research. Any reputable pest control company will be able to provide you with all of the credentials necessary to carry out the work. They should also have full liability insurance and follow all COSHH regulations.
When you have a pest infestation in your home, you have to take in all of these safety precautions to protect yourself and your family. Getting pest controllers in to carry out a treatment may seem like an unhealthy option when you think of all the dangers involved. However, having pests in your home can be a lot worse.
Pests could damage your health more than any pest control chemical, so it’s important that when you see the signs of an infestation you get it dealt with immediately. When you get in touch with Empire, feel free to ask any questions you may have about the safety precautions you need to take before any treatment is done.