Termites are the wood eating insects that are harmful to the properties available in your place. They are attracted to darkness, wood, and moist environment. It is important to keep the termites away from your place to prevent your properties, they can chew all the wood, paper, cellulose, and even plastic materials.
There are different types of termites like subterranean termites, drywood termites, dampwood termites, and Formosan termites. Though they are different these all can chew wooden materials. The most commonly found species in UK are subterranean termites. In this article, we will discuss, the facts about subterranean termites.
How to Identify Subterranean Termites?
These subterranean termites are winged insects; if you see any discarded wings, then your place would be infested by subterranean termites. These termites are highly attracted to lights, you can see a swarm of termites near the light.
Some of the other identification factors like strange wall sounds, hollow or papery wood, mud tubes and galleries, and your windows and doors will be hard to open and close.
Facts About Subterranean Termites
- Termites are the second largest natural source of producing a greenhouse gas called methane.
- Worker termites always chew the wood first and then feed on other termites in the colony.
- Termite damage should be covered by homeowners’ insurance
- Termites prefer to live underground, and they will dig a tunnel to the nearest food source like a tree, any building, or walls with cellulose.
- Termites on the earth are more significant than the humans on earth
- Worker termites will look for food randomly and continuously and they can even travel 350 feet from their colony to build their territory.
- Termites are living on the earth since the time of the dinosaurs
- A single termite colony contains from thousand to millions of termites
- Termite damage is huge and hard to overcome and also it is common unlike other disasters like fires or earthquakes.
- A survey told that US people are spending morethan $5 billion each year to overcome the dangers caused by termites.
- Termites are the hard workers; they do not sleep and work 24×7.
- Termites can enter your home through any of the holes and gaps, though the gap is the smallest like 1/32 inch.
Termite infestation can make your home worthless, and you should spot the pest infestation at an early stage to prevent your place from huge damage. A normal man cannot find the type of termite, but everyone can identify the them using termite signs like chewed wood, mud tubes, and droppings.
The above listed are some of the facts about subterranean termites. It is important to avoid the presence of termites in your home. You can find a number of DIY methods to get rid of termites online, but they can withstand only for a few days.
If you really want to get rid of termites hire a professional pest control service. The experts can find the type of infestation and termites, they will conduct a proper control treatment to sweep out the entire organisms present in your home.