Many of us are afraid of spiders, so the last thing we want is to have our eight-legged friends in our homes. In this post we are going to look at how to spider proof your house. It provides a great guide for those of us who live in older homes, like many of the ones in London.
Spider prevention is easy once you know how to do it. Having a residential spider prevention routine will make sure the creepy-crawlies stay out of your home for good. Seal your home against spiders will not only be effective at keeping spiders out of your home, but will also help protect against other pests too.
13 Ways To Spider Proof Your House
So what are our top tips on how to spider proof your house? We’ve come up with 13 great tips you can use at little to no cost. And they will help to prevent spiders in your home. These tips will come in especially useful at this time of year, when the spiders start to emerge.
Let’s get started on our top tips on how to spider proof your house!
- Use mint – Spiders hate the smell of peppermint oil, so it’s a great way to keep them away from your home. Simply get some of the peppermint oil and dilute it with some water, then spray it around your home. If you don’t want to make your own you can also purchase ready-made diffusers or scented products that work as spider repellents.
- Repellent spray – Another great tip on how to spider proof your house is similar to the peppermint oil, but using apple cider vinegar instead. Mixing some of this with ground pepper and washing up liquid is a great spray for along windows and doors.
- Encourage ladybirds – Ladybirds are fantastic for getting rid of other pests because they eat nearly 50 bugs a day. Plants such as dill, fennel and marigolds attract ladybirds, so placing these in your garden will naturally keep spiders away.
- Remove cobwebs – It sounds really simple. But checking regularly for webs around your home and removing them will stop spiders lurking and breeding in your home. Go on a spider hunt with the vacuum cleaner or a soft duster to get rid of any webs.
- Use your pets – Pets are often the perfect antidote to any pest problems in your home. Pets like cats often chase anything that moves and will fight off any unwanted visitors before you even notice they are there.
- De-cluttering – Spiders love the hiding places clutter creates. Having a cluttered home provides spiders with plenty of places to breed and infest. If you regularly de-clutter, it is a great solution to a spider problem.
- Try some citrus – Citrus smells are repulsive to spiders, so having oranges and lemons around the home and eating them regularly can deter spiders and keeps you healthier too.
- Wash your windows – Make a solution to clean your windows. This will help to prevent not only spiders but other pests from getting inside.
- Use eucalyptus – Yet another scent that spiders hate is eucalyptus, so dotting the plant around your home will stop them from creeping in. It also has the added benefit of making the house smell really fresh and clean.
- Limit your lighting – Many bugs are attracted to light, and spiders are no exception. Try to keep the house lighting to the minimum and turn the lights off when you leave the house. This will not only save money on the electricity but will also curb spider invasions.
- Cinnamon candles – Not only do these candles smell delicious, they’re a fantastic way to keep the insects away. Spiders can’t stand the smell of cinnamon. So having the scent in your home should stop spiders from making a nest in your home.
- Seal cracks and holes – Cracks and crevices around your home are the perfect entry point for lots of different pests. Make sure you seal all these with caulk so no pests can crawl into your home and cause chaos.
- Check the outside of your home – As well as cleaning inside your home by de-cluttering, you can also reduce the amount of spiders outside your home doing the same. You should keep firewood piles, garden bags and compost heaps well away from your home. This is because they are the favoured place for a lot of pests and insects.
If you are having trouble with spider infestations in your home, it’s time to call in the experts. Our team here at Empire Pest Control will rid your property of spiders and provide you with a concrete plan. This will ensure that fewer spiders and other pests will cause a problem in your home in the future.