Have you noticed the leaves start to change colour on the trees? It seems that autumn is officially upon us. And with the arrival of this new season comes a whole new host of autumn pests. Not only do you want to keep the cold out of your home, you want to keep these pests out to.
During this time of year, you will notice fewer flies and wasps. As the weather continues to get colder, household pests like mice, rats and fleas will try and get into your home. Here, we are going to look at the different rooms around the house. And what you can do to prevent autumn pests in each area.
Autumn Pests in the Loft
Your loft is the number one hotspot for all manner of autumn pests. It gives them all of the warmth and shelter they need to get through the winter. Plus, it’s very close to a fairly reliable source of food – your kitchen! To prevent autumn pests in your roof space:
• Look for any damaged tiles on the roof and replace them;
• Fill in roof cracks with the appropriate material;
• Keep an eye on your loft space throughout autumn and winter to spot pest activity;
• The loft should be kept tidy and free from clutter;
• Stored items should be kept in plastic boxes and not cardboard (which pests will eat or use for their nests).
Drainage and Pipes
Rain is a common theme for autumn weather. Now is the time to spot and fix any problems with your guttering. Most autumn pests are attracted to a good water source or a build up of excess water. To prevent pests from causing havoc with your drainage system:
• Check all the down-piping on your property for signs of leaks;
• Repair any broken seals on the guttering;
• All drains should be free flowing. If they’re not, remove any obstructions and blockages.
Believe it or not, your bedroom can be a hive of activity for autumn pests. Summer clothes get put away and the winter woollies may be making their first outing of the year. This is when you may notice you have a moth infestation. The tell-tale signs would be holes chewed into your jumpers. Spotting the signs of pests in your bedroom early can help you install the following prevention tips:
• Check stored clothing for any signs of moth damage;
• Before storing clothes wash them and then store them in a sealed bag;
• Clear out and vacuum the inside of your wardrobe on a regular basis.
Another pest you won’t want in your bedroom is the bed bug. This pest is one that is active all year round, but can become particularly ferocious at this time of year. Prevent bed bugs in the bedroom by:
• Checking for signs of them like blood spots and droppings;
• Inspecting furniture and carpeting;
• Washing clothing and bed sheets that may have come into contact with bed bugs;
• Vacuuming and cleaning the bedroom regularly;
• Call Empire pest control, your local London bed bug specialists, to do a heat treatment as bed bugs will only get worse if left untreated.
Pests in the Kitchen
The kitchen is the room that is most at risk of a pest infestation. This is down to the fact that there are readily available food sources. Autumn pests have to have food to survive through the winter, so will gravitate towards this area of your home. To prevent pests in the kitchen stealing all of your food:
• Store your food in proper containers and keep it in the fridge where possible;
• Do your washing up regularly and don’t leave dishes in the sink;
• Empty your bin regularly into an outdoor, sealed bin that is stored away from the house;
• Clean up food debris such as crumbs off work surfaces and the floor;
• Regularly clean behind your fridge and cooker to remove food sources.
Inside the Garage
Garages are used for storing items more often than not. Whatever you may be storing, pests will love to make their nests inside your boxes and belongings. Here’s how you can prevent pests from infesting your garage:
• Any air vents leading into your garage should be covered with a mesh;
• Stored items should be kept in plastic boxes and off the floor as much as possible;
• Try to have a declutter once every couple of months.
If you experience a problem with pests in your home at any point this autumn, get in touch with Empire Pest Control for expert pest extermination. We are on call 24 hours a day. Our customer service team are available to offer you advice and information on anything you need clarifying on 0203 633 2143.
Check out our testimonials to find out how effective and efficient our team are. Head over to CheckATrade to see for yourself. We are also registered with the BPCA and accredited by SAFECONTRACTOR and SAFE4SITE.