As we head towards the warmer weather, flies start to become a big problem. And as temperatures rise, fly prevention and control becomes even more necessary that usual. As well as being plain irritating with the way they buzz around, they can also pose health and safety risks. As you probably know, flies carry a multitude of diseases and bacteria that can spread to humans. Ideally, you will want to stop them getting inside your property, although that’s not always easy.
The best ways to deal with these winged pests is to invest in fly prevention and control products. But, as there are so many out there, it can be daunting trying to choose the best option. To give you some help though, we are going to highlight the fly prevention and control methods and equipment that we think are best and why.
Fly Screen Windows and Doors
Fly screens on windows and doors are probably the simplest and most popular way of preventing flies (and other flying insects) entering your home. As the temperature warms, you will want to keep your windows open a lot more, maybe even at night. However, where there’s an open window, there’s the perfect opportunity for flies and other insects to get in. Fly screens can be used to stop this happening, meaning you can keep windows (and doors on occasion) open while protecting your home.
Another consideration is cost. With fly screens, there is no need to pay as much on electric fans or air conditioning. Furthermore, the fresh air can stop damp, and prevent mould and allergens from settling in your property.
Whether you have a commercial or domestic property, air quality is extremely important. Fly screens keep insects outside, where they belong, without the use of chemical sprays.
Electric Fly Killers
As the name suggests, electric fly killers are units that kill flies, with the help of electricity. There are two different kinds of electric fly killers –zapper units and glue boards.
These are normally composed of two main parts – UV fluorescent lightbulbs and a metal grid that has an electric current passing through it. The main benefits of using fly zapper units are that they are:
- Effective – they kill most flies and flying insects instantly.
- Mess-free – this is particularly relevant if you buy a unit with a built in tray to collect insect debris.
- Virtually maintenance-free – aside from changing the bulb every so often, emptying the collection tray and wiping them every now and then, these units don’t need much upkeep.
Flies and other airborne insects tend to be attracted to bright lights, especially if it’s ultraviolet. When they fly towards it and hit the electrified grid, they are killed on contact.
Sometimes known as glue traps, glue boards also utilise a UV fluorescent light that attracts flies and similar insects. However, rather than getting zapped, the flies get trapped on sticky glue boards. This fly prevention and control method has the benefit of being:
- Silent-running – unlike the above, there’s no noticeable zapping noise.
- Compact and discreet – as they don’t need electrically-charged gridding, they tend to be smaller, more compact and lightweight.
- Hygienic – as the glue board component in these are removable, they are easy to keep clean. You just need to remove it and replace it when it’s full.
These units are sophisticated electronic devices based on the traditional fly paper concept. The principle is a simple one, yet these gadgets are very effective and user friendly.
PVC Strip Curtains
Sometimes known as strip doors or stirp curtains, these are a PVC-based fly prevention and control solution. They consist of overlapped strips of plastic and can be hung in a doorway or window. They have a lot of great benefits, including:
- Economical– of all the fly prevention and control options mentioned in this post, these are probably the most cost-effective. They don’t require a power source and are easy to clean and maintain.
- Noise reduction – as well as stopping flies from entering your property through unopened windows and doors, strip curtains can stop unwanted sounds from outside entering as well.
- Reduce contaminants – it’s not just noise and pests that strip curtains can keep out though. They can also prevent contaminants such as fumes, dirt, smoke and dust from blowing in.
It’s important to keep in mind that these products and solutions are not substitutes or replacements for keeping your property clean and tidy. This is especially true for food related businesses, where flies present a serious health hazard.
Caution When Using Fly Prevention and Control Products
Most of these methods and options are designed to be user-friendly. However, you should still take precautions while using them. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions properly. And only use the devices and products as directed. Ideally, these units should be professionally installed by a company like ourselves. With zapper units and other units that feature UV lights, you should only use them indoors. They are likely to attract other flying insects if used outdoors, many of which are not a problem. They can even harm beneficial insects that contribute to a balanced eco system.
Empire can supply, install and service a variety of fly prevention and control products. Contact us on 0800 633 5220 to discuss which of our options are best suited to your situation.